As if making a quilt based on a video game wasn’t nerdy enough, I started this one in Excel. I used some images from a quick search to plan out the pattern and colored the squares in the spreadsheet according to the fabric color. As many people have commented on the pattern, it’s definitely not true to the game. There is at least one completely filled line that is still there where it normally would have disappeared, there are half a dozen pieces “falling” at the top and gosh is this person bad at Tetris. Look at all those holes!
Aside from my baby quilt project, this was one of my first real quilts that I completed on my own from beginning to end. I learned a lot about why it’s important to properly pin the pieces (how’s that for alliteration?) before sewing them together, even if it is time consuming. I also learned that it’s okay to start a block over, even if it means “wasting” some fabric. And most importantly I learned how much easier it is to do the final quilting if you’ve taken the time to put the sandwich together right and iron out any folds.
Ultimately it turned out okay. There are many places where the blocks don’t line up or where the quilting stitches went awry. I've discovered that every new project will bring new lessons and that’s how you become good at something! This one is getting shipped off to my grandmother who not only taught me how to sew and quilt, but could also kick my butt in Tetris.
When I'm not working, I try to maintain my T-shape. I love to read, garden and sew. I am also a foster home for Foothills Animal Shelter. Here is where I talk about these things and more!